Saturday, October 17, 2009

How does one find joy in common birds?

Al Schirmacher of Princeton, MN, asked the MN-listserv, "How does one find joy in common birds?"
Digital photography has revolutionized my birding.  Today I caught only my second crow, which I banded and photographed--a common bird but not so common in the bird net.  This  bird was with about six others drinking at our backyard water feature. (Note the dull alula feather--an indication that this bird was hatched this year.)

Now I am just as likely to chase after a good bird photo as an unusual bird report.  One day in South Dakota I went out in search of displaying Red-winged Blackbirds.  Imagine my surprise when I found this odd Red-wing!
It also proved hard to find a decent House Sparrow photo.  I spent the greater part of a day in search of this photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment