Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pileated Woodpecker 1, Bander 1



Score one for the bird--my banding notebook was covered with my blood after the woodpecker finished with me.  Score one for me, this Pileated Woodpecker is only the second of my banding career.  This species is fairly common in Minnesota but was not found where we lived in South Dakota. Notice that the bird closes her eye as she pounds my finger. 

Mike Hendrickson of Duluth recently commented that this fall has been relatively slow for birders state-wide.  I am sorry to report that I agree with his assessment, at least as banding has fared here in the east-central part of the state.

The few animated .gif files like the one above are made at the website: http://www.gifninja.com/  

1 comment:

  1. Great gif. I've lots of pictures of pileated, but none this funny. Sorry about the finger.

    ReplyDelete