Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gray Catbird

I was all set to write about catbirds (I banded this one on Friday) and other birds that mimic when I saw a link on the South Dakota bird listserv on that very subject!  This video really says about the same thing as I was going to write about: http://www.youtube.com/LabofOrnithology#p/u/12/KRgvpjcSNcM

The basic premise is that the larger your mimicking repertoire, the bigger the stud you are.  At least if you are a male catbird trying to attract females to mate with you. (I wonder it is similar for human males and the number of songs in their iPods?)

Yesterday two friends and I did a Big Day in Rice Co.  We began at 4:30 AM and birded until 8:30 PM.  We listed 129 species of birds, including 19 warblers.  Highlights include a Hooded Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, and Eurasian Collared Dove.  It was a fun but exhausting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment