Saturday, October 16, 2010

Yellow-throated Vireo

I banded this gorgeous Yellow-throated Vireo on Sunday, 10 October 2010 and have saved this post for today, this blog's first birthday.  According to Birds of Minnesota, this date is late for this species.  The book also mentions that this species has been increasing to the north and west.  I have previously blogged about this species on 20 July 2010.


Book-loving birders may be interested in the classic, two-volume The Birds of Minnesota by Thomas Roberts.  I often consult this book when I am curious as to what races of birds have been recorded in Minnesota. Two editions were published, one in 1932, with a revision in 1936.  Even then this vireo was thought to be expanding its range northward, so this trend appears to be in progress for some time.  Roberts cites no October records.

Kim Eckert advises, "If you find a set of Roberts' for sale somewhere at $100 or so, buy it."  An autographed copy is available at Amazon.  Be careful that you do not get a key to identification that Roberts also wrote (unless, of course, your are interested in antique Minnesota bird books).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I just found one of these outside a Potbelly's in Coon Rapids, MN. He was just sitting there on the sidewalk. (Must have bumped into the window.) I picked him up with no resistance and held him in my hand for about 5-10 min. I didn't know what to do. Finally he started moving and fluttering and perched on my finger. I quickly brought him to the grassy place and he flew into a tree. (Where he was very well camouflaged.) I have NEVER seen a guy like this before. Or even heard of one. Glad to find out what my new friend is. Thx again.

    ReplyDelete