Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Snow Bunting

Today I saw hundreds of Snow Buntings in several flocks near Nerstrand Big Woods State Park in Rice County, Minnesota.  Between the busy state highway and relatively uncooperative birds--not to mention the 18 degree F temperature--I did not get very good photographs.  In fact, the photo above of a Snow Bunting that I took several years ago.  Today's photos were more like the one below.
Snow Buntings breed in Alaska and across Arctic Canada where they nest in rock cavities. They winter from southern Canada to the central United States.  Although they can be of sporadic occurrence, and numbers vary from year to year, these buntings can be locally abundant, and are often seen along Minnesota highways.

5 comments:

  1. We hoped to see some last year during the Christmas Bird Count (we were covering farm fields outside Northfield), but I don't think we did -- maybe just a couple at a considerable distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Dan,

    Hoping to see some near me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan. I enjoy your blog. Going to head to Nerstrand from Minneapolis today and wondered if you coul recommend rural drive back that offers possibilities of turkey's, kestrels, buntings and larks.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt—birds seem few and far apart this year. Almost any rural road has about equal possibilities. This January I have seen but two kestrels, one Snow Bunting flock, one Horned Lark, and no turkeys! dan

      Delete
  4. Thanks Dan! I will try my luck this aft...
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete