Saturday, August 27, 2011

August Warblers

Fall warbler migration in the Upper Midwest begins in the second half of August. This year I banded a Chestnut-sided Warbler on 21 August, an Ovenbird and a Mourning Warbler (both on 22 August), followed by a Black-and-White Warbler on 26 August. All were young and all but the Mourning were conceivably local birds.  I banded none of these species, however, earlier in the summer.
Last fall the migration appeared to began earlier. In 2010 I banded a Blackburnian and a Canada Warbler on 12 August; my first Black-and White Warbler was captured on 19 August (along with a second Blackburnian). The next day I banded three Chestnut-sided Warblers. I ringed over a dozen additional warblers as the month progressed.
Photos: Chestnut-sided Warbler (top); Ovenbird (second); Black-and-white Warbler (third); Mourning Warbler (bottom).

No comments:

Post a Comment