Thursday, September 29, 2011

Black-throated Green Warbler

On 27 September 2011, I banded this Black-throated Green Warbler. This species stands out for me as one of the most beautiful of North American birds (even if Erika often comments that is what I say about every bird I just saw). I have previously blogged about this warbler on 25 August 2010.


The Black-throated Green Warbler is a very common inhabitant of northeastern coniferous forests, and it ranges south through the Appalachian Mountains into deciduous woodlands. Despite its wide range, little is known about its breeding biology and migration patterns. This warbler inhabits forest interiors, and thus is vulnerable to forest fragmentation, specially in its Central American winter range. Recent hemlock and fir die-offs along the East Coast also threaten this species (Morse and Poole 2005).

No comments:

Post a Comment