Thursday, February 23, 2012

Evening Grosbeak

After seeing these handsome birds in Montana, I blogged about Evening Grosbeaks in my post of 29 June 2011. This species also breeds in northeastern Minnesota, but is not seen every year. Winter bird feeders are the best places to look for them. Elsewhere in its range, Evening Grosbeaks, tied to Box Elder seed and Spruce Budworm abundance, tend to show a two year cycle.

The top photo of a female was taken this February during our recent trip to Sax-Zim Bog. The lower one was taken several years ago, near the bog. The ice on the bottom male's crown indicates that the winter the photograph was taken was more typically cold (-38 degrees F) than the abnormally warm winter of 2012.

2 comments:

  1. The pleasure of seeing one of these still awaits me. Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have four of these that are coming to my deck to get the black oil sunflower seeds I have out...the two I've seen the best are a male and a female. They are larger than the birds I've been having and was curious as to what they are. I'm also in Montana- in the northwest corner of the state. Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete