Monday, May 21, 2012

Sapsucker on a Wire

On 7 May 2012, John H. and I were birding near Dundas, Minnesota. I heard the the unmistakable, persistent, call of a Red-breasted Nuthatch. To show off to John my prodigious ability to recognize bird calls (and secretly affirm my identification), I played a screech-owl tape from my phone. Up flew this Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and landing on an overhead telephone wire--an odd pose for a woodpecker. Not far behind, the nuthatch flew into a nearby spruce, thus keeping my bird call recognition reputation intact.
The nuthatch is probably a migrant in Rice County. This species breeds in northeastern Minnesota. Birds in Minnesota lists breeding records south to the Twin Cities, which are a couple of counties north of us. The sapsucker breeds across most of Minnesota, although it is more common the farther north you travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment