Saturday, August 4, 2012

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Yesterday, 3 August 2012, I banded my first fall migrant--this Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. I knew that this flycatcher is an early migrant--it breeds in close-by northeastern Minnesota--and is a common breeding bird across Canadian forests. Most migrate from mid-August through early September. I was surprised to read in Janssen (Birds in Minnesota) that the earliest migration dates in southern Minnesota are throughout July. One reason for this early migration is that Yellow-bellied Flycatchers have one of the shortest breeding seasons of any neotropical migrant in the North Woods--often less than 70 days (Gross and Lowther 2011). This flycatcher winters in Central America. See also my previous posts concerning this species (8 September 2011 and 24 August 2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment