Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pileated Woodpecker

On Tuesday my fellow Northfield blogger Penelope posted and included a video about seeing a Pileated Woodpecker near her home in town. Low and behold, the next day a female Pileated landed at our far suet feeder. Thanks to Penny for sending the bird to our house! We’ve seen them there in previous years, but this was the first for this winter. Its appearance explains the continual, mysterious lack of suet at the feeder. 
I have previously posted about this woodpecker. For a photo of a male, see my post of 6 November 2010.  Note the male’s red forehead and red malar stripe, both of which are basically black in this female. On 5 November 2009, I posted a humorous gif of a Pileated doing damage to your’s truly, the Ace Bander. Finally, on 27  December 2010, I photographed a Pileated Woodpecker feeder on a natural food source, Hackberry tree berries.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention, Dan. These are such amazing-looking birds. I hope very much to see them more often. I want to make clear that the video I posted was one I found on YouTube, not one that I took myself.

    (I tried to comment a couple of days ago but it hasn't appeared - trying again.)

    ReplyDelete