Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Eastern Phoebe

Amidst rain and snow, the Eastern Phoebes have returned to our backwoods. One wonders what food they are finding. The one phoebe I’ve banded was very thin. These photos have been lying around in my computer for a couple of years, so I thought I would share them with you now.
The second photo shows a phoebe nest at a garage at our Dundas feeding station. The phoebe’s choice of nesting in buildings and under bridges resulted in a westward spread in range in historic times. They still, however, occasionally nest in rock outcroppings. Recent DNA studies indicate that, although the adults are “socially monogamous,” phoebe young are the result of “considerable extra-pair paternity and polygyny" (Weeks 2011). The last phoebe is a bird photographed last summer at the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite birds. Wonder how they're doing with this late, late spring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been noticing them hunting over open areas of water around my place. Not sure what they are catching for I do not see any flying insects. I hope our local pair makes it through this storm and nests on the side of our garden shed again!

    ReplyDelete