Thursday, May 9, 2013

Golden-winged Warbler

Previously I have posted extensively on the Golden-winged Warbler (see 14 June and 27 August 2010). This gorgeous migrant was the highlight of a warbler swarm that flew into my Northfield banding station yesterday. Actually I was busy with other obligations, and only had my nets open for an hour, beginning at 11:30 in the morning. In that time I ringed 14 Nashville Warblers, 12 Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warblers, 4 Orange-crowned Warblers, 1 Black-and-White Warbler (and saw two others), and observed, but did not catch, a Black-throated Green Warbler and a Blue-headed Vireo. The day was hot (almost 80 degrees) and sunny, but with approaching rain storms. I suspect this “migrant wave” was caused by the birds’ being bottled up to our south over the past few days by snow and cold in Minnesota and a large, low-pressure cell to our south.

2 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS! Did you request that some warblers hold off until Monday? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, today—Thursday, we only banded only lonely Chipping Sparrow!

      Delete