Thursday, May 16, 2013

Warbler Wave 1

The second week of May delighted us with a heavy wave of migrating warblers. I wish to share with you a few of the birds we photographed during our banding operations. This photos will occupy the next several blog posts. I have linked the names of each bird to previous posts in which each warbler is discussed.

I noticed that the numbers of migrants were greatest just prior to the passage of two warm fronts through eastern Minnesota. Just before the fronts, winds were from the north. Afterwards, southerly winds prevailed. Presumably those north winds concentrated the migrants, whereas south winds assisted the migrants on their way north. Being a scientist, however, I have entertained two other hypotheses. Migrants appear to flock to my nets just as Erika is setting dinner and 15 minutes before I have appointments away from the banding station. Could these last two hypotheses be coincidental?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely stunning photos, Dan. What a great collection! (did you tell them to stick around until Monday?)

    ReplyDelete