Saturday, May 4, 2013

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warblers, Setophaga coronata, until recently were placed in the genus Dendroica. DNA studies, however, conclude that Dendroica, plus the genera Wilsonia and Parula, all comprise a single genus, Setophaga, once containing only the redstarts. Setophaga comes from the Greek and means insect-eater (Gruson 1972). I include this photo because I notice that none of my other posts of Yellow-rumped Warblers show their yellow rump. This bird hawked for insects in late April along Lake Byllesby in nearby Goodhue County, Minnesota.


2 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful colours...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder picture Dan. I found a Yellow-rumped Warbler htis morning under my rose bush. You are a extremely good photographer. I cruised around your site, love all the pictures.

    Michael
    Caught On Camera

    ReplyDelete