Friday, June 7, 2013

Eurasian Collared-Dove

Returning to South Dakota after a seven-year absence, I was surprised by the abundance of Eurasian Collared-Doves. When I left the state, about the only reliable place to see them was in the Pierre area. Previously I posted a photo of a large flock of these doves from Pierre, and there I wrote about the doves’ spread across North America. Nevertheless, I was not expecting the species to be abundant in Mobridge and Timber Lake (the later town not even on the Missouri). The courting Eurasian Collared-Doves in this photo were in Timber Lake.

Factors responsible for this dove’s spread across the continent include its ability to make long-distance dispersal flights, multiple releases in the United States, backyard bird feeders, locations with stored and waste grain, and an increasing planting of trees (Romagosa 2012). Indeed, a good place to find this dove is near grain bins in small rural towns.

No comments:

Post a Comment