Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Common Merganser

I will interrupt my report on Erika's and my Texas and New Mexico adventures as local and current opportunities present themselves. In this case, as happens each spring, a small patch of water has opened under the bridge along the Cannon/Wells Lake causeway west of Faribault, Minnesota. Many waterfowl will be attracted to this location as the spring progresses. Today, 18 March 2014, both this drake Common Merganser and a male Hooded Merganser swam among the more plentiful Mallards and Canada Geese.

The Common Merganser is a cold-hearty species that can even winter in Minnesota if open water persists. Therefore the species is often one of our first harbingers of spring. I have previously written about this species’s biology.

1 comment:

  1. There have been nearly a dozen of these (and one Red-Breasted drake) at the Coon Rapids Dam all winter. This is my first year birding through the winter, so I had never seen them before, probably just because I failed to look.

    ReplyDelete