Thursday, September 18, 2014

Juniper Titmouse

The fourth titmouse species we listed during our winter trip was this Juniper Titmouse.  My photos are poor, the titmice did not pose very still for me, and these are the best I got. I will try to improve upon them the next time I am in the Southwest.

I lacked a photograph of the species, since, when I took photos of them before, they were of the Oak Titmosue, found in oak woodlands of the Pacific slope of California. Juniper Titmice are found in juniper and pinion-juniper woodlands in the interior of the Southwest. Recently the two populations, previously called Plain Titmice, have been declared to be separate species. 

Both species mate for life, and neither forms flocks as do other titmice. Both sexes hold year-round territories. They cache food, which is surprising in a non-flocking species. Males sing all year, though most intensely in the spring, and ususally defend their territories against other bird species (Cicero 2000).

No comments:

Post a Comment