Thursday, May 7, 2015

Great-tailed Grackle

Judging from the account by Johnson and Peer (2001), Great-tailed Grackles are opportunistic feeders. They consume a wide variety of arthropods, grain, and even snakes, lizards, frogs, and rodents. Not mentioned are dragonflies, which I am fairly certain is what the female grackle in my photograph is consuming! Imagine my frustration last March, after three days of searching for odonates near Dallas, to find my first Texas dragonfly, species unidentified and grackle bait. 

You may notice that many of the photographs from our trip are in portrait, rather than landscape, format. This formatting is what BirdsEye requests for their collection of bird photos. I was happy to oblige, although sometimes if I encountered a rare bird or dragonfly, I found it hard to remember which way to hold my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment