Sunday, August 2, 2015

Eurasian Collared-Dove

Seeing Eurasian Collared-Doves is no longer much of a surprise in much of North America. During my recent travels across the country, I am surprised by how widespread and common this species has become. I have previously posted accounts of this species’ spread. John Holden and I found this dove buffeted by the wind in nearby Dakota County. I thought the back-lit tail feathers to be particularly striking.

Romagosa (2012) writes that “little appears to be limiting the spread of this dove in North America.” Bird feeders and grain storage bins provide year-round food supplies. Urban landscaping gives the birds habitat. Romagosa suggests that disease could cut back high dove populations, although she admits little evidence exists for this hypothesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment