Friday, January 1, 2016

2015 Banding

I felt that 2015 was a poor banding year. Several factors contributed to this conclusion. Erika and I made two extended trips away from Minnesota. Bird populations at my Dundas banding site appeared to be way down. Many days I caught nothing. On the other hand, the fall saw large numbers of Tennessee and Nashville warblers

I banded 894 individuals comprising 62 species. In Northfield, I banded 710 birds. Near Dundas I ringed 160 individuals. I caught 24 other birds at either River Bend Nature Center or Big Woods State Park. I added no new species to the birds-banded list.

My top ten species banded were:

111 Yellow-rumped Warbler 
106 American Robin
90 Tennessee Warbler
71 American Goldfinch
69 Nashville Warbler
47 Hermit Thrush
41 Swainson’s Thrush
39 Black-capped Chickadee
32 Pine Siskin
28 White-throated Sparrow

Species with only one capture were Brown Thrasher, Cooper’s Hawk, Eastern Bluebird, Field Sparrow, House Sparrow, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Northern Parula, Purple Finch, Red-eyed Vireo, and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. 

The photograph on this post is of a first-year American Goldfinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment