Rising and Flood 1998).
Last summer, this Baltimore Oriole fed at a jelly-filled feeder at our Dundas banding station. Mark Catesby described the Baltimore Oriole in 1731, naming the bird for the founders (whose colors were black and orange) of the Maryland colony. In 1758, Linnaeus named it the Small Yellowish Jackdaw, thinking orioles are closely related to crows. Later the name was changed to Oriole, on the assumption that the birds were similar to Old World orioles. Today ornithologists classify our orioles as blackbirds.