Tuesday, July 26, 2016

American Rubyspot

A male American Rubyspot flashing his red wings. On Sunday, Erika and I stood on a bridge in the Lyman Lakes area of the Carleton College campus. I told Erika, “three years ago, I saw American Rubyspots at this exact location.” As soon as I uttered these words, we discovered a single rubyspot perched on a twig in the middle of the creek. The damselfly made repeated forays from his perch, aways quickly returning. This behavior allowed me to take several in-flight photographs, of which, this picture is the best.

In a previous post, I wrote "The male rubyspot’s red wing spots grow larger over time, and are largest on dominant males. Paulson suggests that these spots actually decrease the most dominant male’s hunting success.” In my older post is a photograph of a male with less gaudy spots.

1 comment:

  1. Neat! I'll have to keep my eyes open for these when I'm down there.

    ReplyDelete