Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Magnolia Warbler

I blogged on the Magnolia Warbler in my post of 8 September 2010.  I was disappointed to miss seeing this species during last spring's dismal migration.  The Magnolia Warbler should be an abundant and easily seen bird.  I took the photo above in the eastern unit of the Cannon River Wilderness county park on 10 May 2011.  I banded the individual below on 17 May in Northfield, Minnesota. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, this species was discovered in 1810 during migration in a magnolia tree in Mississippi.  Magnolia Warblers breed in the boreal forests across central Canada and the northern-most United States.  Despite their being relatively abundant, very little is known about their breeding biology. They winter in the Caribbean and in Central America.

1 comment: