Friday, May 24, 2013

Pileated Woodpecker Recapture

On 21 May 2013, I discovered a Pileated Woodpecker in my banding net. Turns out to be a bird that I banded on 3 November 2010. In fact, it is the same bird I blogged about in November 2010. I seldom catch these large woodpeckers, and I wondered if a bird just short of three years might be one of the oldest on record. A search of the Bird Banding Laboratory’s website indicates my record is a far cry from the a record of 12 years 11 months of a bird banded in Maryland.

3 comments:

  1. Impressive! I hope you didn't get pecked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I was a bit bloodied. The neighborhood kids were impressed….

      Delete
  2. great shot and how cool is that!! I have a family of Pileasted Woodpeckers living near out house. Been trying for a long time to get pictures.

    thanks for sharing, chek out my picture.

    Michael
    Pileated Woodpeckers

    ReplyDelete