Search This Blog

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Townsend’s Warbler

9 January 2020 proved to be a two-Townsend’s Warbler banding day in our Olympia backyard. This species is one of Washington’s most common warblers (Wahl et al. 2005). This warbler is an uncommon winter resident, mostly below 490 feet elevation and usually within a few miles of salt water. Our backyard meets both those requirements. I think I have mentioned that the Banding Office asks me if I am sure about my identification when I report banding Townsend’s Warblers in the winter. In these images, the first bird is a female and the second is a male. The warblers appear to follow mixed flocks of Bushtits and chickadees.
Yet another male Townsend’s Warbler in the final photo—this one eating at the suet feeder on a snowy 14 January 2020. These warblers also forage on berries during the cheese, marshmallows, and peanut butter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment