Search This Blog

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Rufous Hummingbird

I have previously written about the elliptical migration route made by Rufous Hummingbirds. About the last Rufous Hummingbird I recorded here was on 3 September. Now we have several Anna’s Hummingbirds visiting the nectar feeders. I do not know if the Anna’s are the same birds that we have enjoyed all summer, or if these are new birds coming in from elsewhere. 

This Rufous Hummingbird hit the bird net on 6 August 2020. Another species, the Allen’s Hummingbird, is theoretically possible in western Washington. They are found along the coast from southern Oregon into western Mexico. Young birds may make post-breeding dispersals into our area, Although considered by Wahl et al. (2005) to be a casual vagrant here, there is only one known specimen for the species, taken in 1894, from the state. Other records are unconfirmed or mistaken. The two species can be extremely similar. One difference is that the outer tail feather is very narrow (pin-like) in the Allen’s Hummingbird. But my hummer’s outer tail feather is definitely rounded, so I figure it is a Rufous Hummingbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment