Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Varied Thrush

We have been looking for Varied Thrushes. Last year they appeared in our yard during the first two weeks of October. This year they seem to be a few days late, perhaps due to our dry season—they may await snowfall to leave their forest habitat. I have heard Varied Thrushes for the past few days—their song is an eerie, penetrating, single-pitched but slightly modulating whistle that reminds me of bird calls in the tropical jungle. Others compare the sound to a policeman’s whistle. My birds sang from the tree tops, which is typical for the species. On 9 October 2020, I finally saw a Varied Thrush. The bird swooped out of the forest and into thick bushes outside our study. I ran for my camera—the result is the first photograph,
Later that day I banded a second Varied Thrush. This second bird is an immature—judging by its faint breast band and relatively pale sides to the face, it is probably a female. With the bird in my hand, I was struck by the stunning scalloped pattern on the bird’s flanks. To me this pattern seemed reminiscent of a bird-of-paradise. Varied Thrushes are found in the along the Pacific Coast from Alaska to California. Most retreat south in the winter. Population numbers increase on a three to five year cycle. During peaks of their cycle, Varied Thrushes stray across wide areas of Canada and the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment