I do not have good records for those first birds I listed. At the time, checking the species off on the life list in my Peterson field guide seemed sufficient. Beginning in 1961, I have a date and location for each of my over 2,000 life birds. The one exception is from a month in Spain where I recorded the location of my new birds, but not the date. What was I thinking?? In any case, once I saw a bird, I did not record it again. Later I kept year lists, but without dates or locations. I now regret both practices. I wish checklists came with a place to check birds and a space for location.
For the last 20 years, I have kept daily diaries--either in daily calendar books or in those drawing books. These records vary in their usefulness. For example, if one day I drove from South Dakota to Minnesota, I seldom noted the exact location where I saw a particular species. EBird is going to change my laziness! Furthermore, eBird will also automatically update my county lists. Meanwhile, I am entering my old records into eBird (at least those records for which I have data). A final piece of advice--backup your eBird records onto your hard drive. There is no guarantee that eBird will last for the next 50 years!
Now if I can just remember when I photographed this wind-blown, female Northern Cardinal....

No comments:
Post a Comment