Although nesting in forested areas, Long-eared Owls hunt at night over open habitats. During the day they often roost communally, in flocks of two to 100. On my first weekend in South Dakota, I found a roost of a dozen at a state park near Aberdeen. Erika and I occasionally found Long-eared Owls in the conifers of our residential backyard in Aberdeen (although I never banded one). Another good place to look for this owl is in the cedar draws along the Missouri River. This adult and fledgling Long-eared Owl were in a nest in a small deciduous forest downstream from the Oahe Dam near Pierre, South Dakota.
Sunday, February 3, 2013
Long-eared Owl
Although nesting in forested areas, Long-eared Owls hunt at night over open habitats. During the day they often roost communally, in flocks of two to 100. On my first weekend in South Dakota, I found a roost of a dozen at a state park near Aberdeen. Erika and I occasionally found Long-eared Owls in the conifers of our residential backyard in Aberdeen (although I never banded one). Another good place to look for this owl is in the cedar draws along the Missouri River. This adult and fledgling Long-eared Owl were in a nest in a small deciduous forest downstream from the Oahe Dam near Pierre, South Dakota.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment