Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2018

Snowy Owl

For the past six weeks, Erika and I drove a monumental road-trip to Key West and the Rio Grande Valley. I will write about our adventures after I finish my Costa Rican posts. Today, 1 March 2018, we ran errands around southern Minneapolis. Between the errands and a celebratory dinner at our favorite restaurant, ie-Italian Eatery, we stopped at the airplane viewing area at the Minneapolis airport. 

At least two and possibly more Snowy Owls frequented the airport all winter. We made at least a half dozen visits in search of these owls. Amongst a big pile of snow sat a dirty snowball. Except it wasn’t—the female Snowy Owl turned its head and looked straight at me. To my surprise, the half-dozen observers at the viewing area were not birders. Instead they were airplane enthusiasts, taking photos of jet planes. I did not bring my camera, so I asked one of the the plane spotters, Patrick Lentsch, if he would send me a photo of the owl. He quickly and graciously agreed, and here is his photo. The copy-right, of course, belongs to Patrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment