A Fox Sparrow was the most interesting bird we saw on our 13 October 2018 visit to the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. This sparrow is a common migrant, and occasional winter visitor. They breed across Canada and Alaska, south into the Rocky Mountains and winter in the Southeast, and the Pacific Coast.
This species tends to inhabit dense undergrowth, which makes it hard to see. I am not sure why this individual obligingly perched on top of a bare tree. Because this bird’s tail feathers appear to be narrowly pointed, I suspect it is an immature bird, hatched this year.
This species tends to inhabit dense undergrowth, which makes it hard to see. I am not sure why this individual obligingly perched on top of a bare tree. Because this bird’s tail feathers appear to be narrowly pointed, I suspect it is an immature bird, hatched this year.

No comments:
Post a Comment