Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

American Pipit

American Pipits are common, if inconspicuous, breeding across Alaska and Arctic Canada south above tree-line through the Rocky Mountains south almost to the Mexican border. They migrate south in the winter to the southern United State, across Mexico, and into Central America. A race of the American Pipit breeds in Siberia and winters from Israel to Southeast Asia.

I have only seven American Pipit records from Minnesota. As I just wrote, these birds are inconspicuous. At least one pipit flushed as I looked for birds at the Dennison Water Treatment Ponds here in Rice County on 29 October 2018. The pipit gave a few high-pitched whistles and flew to a nearby barbed-wired fence. This behavior surprised me, since almost every other pipit I have seen foraged on the ground or perched on rocks. I did not complain and grabbed my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment