Barn Swallows are such common birds across nearly the whole world, one tends to give them little notice. But they are beautiful, little birds, as you can see in the top photo of one of the first of the season that Erika and I found at the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge on 23 April 2019. Judging by his tail length, this bird is probably a male. Tail length, along with other traits, indicate evolutionary fitness in both males and females.
The first photo sat in my blogging queue until Erika and I took the following sequence of images at Nisqually on 19 June. This bird was one of four young Barn Swallows begging to be fed. As soon as they spied an adult, all four opened their mouths and fluttered their wings. The adult flew in and, wbile flying, fed the young. I was surprised when the adult almost completely inserted its head in the young bird’s mouth. I suspect few scraps fell from that feeding!
The first photo sat in my blogging queue until Erika and I took the following sequence of images at Nisqually on 19 June. This bird was one of four young Barn Swallows begging to be fed. As soon as they spied an adult, all four opened their mouths and fluttered their wings. The adult flew in and, wbile flying, fed the young. I was surprised when the adult almost completely inserted its head in the young bird’s mouth. I suspect few scraps fell from that feeding!




No comments:
Post a Comment