Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Double-crested Cormorant

Actually the target of my 21 October 2019 jaunt to Puget Sound off Olympia was not for auklets, but cormorants. Three species are found here and, of course, the best photo I took was of the common and widespread Double-crested Cormorant. This one is an immature. Note the yellow above and behind the bill. The other two I lacked on my county list—Brandt’s and Pelagic cormorants. I got a photo of the Brandt’s Cormorant perched on a very distant harbor marker tower, stretching every millimeter of my telephoto lens. I won’t subject you to the grainy, shaky result. The head was dark with a small, pale patch behind the bill. I will recognize Pelagic Cormorants when I see them by their dark heads and small white patches along their backsides. I am confident I will get more acceptable photos on a sunny day’s search.

No comments:

Post a Comment