Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2019

Bufflehead 1

On 5 November 2019, Erika and I stalked around Olympia’s Capitol Lake trying to take pictures of Buffleheads. My first goal was to capture a female. In my next post, I will report on my subsequent efforts to photograph a male. I was well-enough pleased with my first two images, but the third may be the most interesting. Note the roiling water in front of the duck. Unseen by us, a dozen Bufflehead were feeding under the water. This duck grew tired of my attention, and flew off to join a huge raft of Buffleheads in the center of the lake. Her flight must have been noticed by the divers—in rapid succession, the twelve birds exploded from under the lake and, without pausing to take the situation into account, took to the air, following the first bird to her distant companions. Erika and I could only laugh at this amazing sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment