Search This Blog

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Zeller’s Bolete

Erika and I found this spectacular mushroom between our driveway and the forest. “I don’t think you should nibble on that one!” exclaimed Erika. When we submitted our photos to iNaturalist, the app immediately identified it as Zeller’s Bolete. It seems that this fungus is edible, although “the taste is not exemplary” (Mushrooms of Vancouver). If you are foolish enough to eat wild mushrooms, Smith writes “observe the usual precautions.” In other words, absolutely know what you are doing. Another drawback to this fungus is that maggots often infest the mushroom’s flesh. Zeller’s Bolete is found in western North America from  British Columbia into Mexico and is characteristic of Pacific Northwest forests and forest edges.

1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered how many people died and how the record was established in determining which mushrooms were edible. I do not even hunt morels in their wild state.

    ReplyDelete