Here is why I thought this bird was odd:
1) The black post-auricular spot started my unease with my initial identification. Most field guides don’t show this mark. A few photos on the Web of birds identified as Black-throated Green Warblers do show similar dark spots. The stripes on the sides of this bird’s face, however, are darker than expected on a typical Black-throated Green Warbler.
2) In the field, I noticed the faint black streaks on this bird’s back. A Black-throated Green Warbler’s back should be completely unstreaked. Male Townsend’s Warbler’s have dark-streaked backs.
3) After reaching the conclusion that my bird might be a hybrid, I returned to my photographs and found the photo below. Although a pure Townsend’s Warbler should have a black crown, unlike the green one on a Back-throated Green, notice the black feathers along the upper edge of this bird’s yellow supercilliary stripe.
I should have stopped my research there. But, instead, I continued on to Stephenson and Whittle’s definitive book, The Warbler Guide


No comments:
Post a Comment