Pine Warblers are hardy birds of eastern North American pine forests (and in the Bahamas and Hispaniola). They are late fall and early spring migrants in the north; and are permanent residents in the southeast. Although mostly insectivorous, they are unusual among the warblers in that seeds comprise a large portion of their diet (Rodewald et al. 2013). This warbler occasionally visits bird feeders.
During our hike near Meridian, Mississippi, on 22 March 2016, Erika and I heard what sounded like a raucous Chipping Sparrow. I knew this call, having learned it last year during our Everglades trip. I made spishing sounds that attracted a curious Pine Warbler. (The Everglades birds did not pose for us, but I do have another Pine Warbler photo taken several years ago in the Corkscrew Sanctuary). To my surprise, I have never seen a Pine Warbler at home in Rice County, and, obviously, have never banded one.

No comments:
Post a Comment