Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2018

Two-toed Slouth

As we loaded the bus on 16 July to return to the San Jose, our driver, Ramon Vargas Monge, asked, “Would you like to see a sloth?” “Sure,” we replied.  Ramon took us a short distance down the road. A Two-toed Sloth lounged in a tree by the road—complete with a young sloth it its arms. Sloths are mostly vegetarians and mainly eat leaves, which are not a high energy source. Consequently, sloths spend much of their days hanging upside down in the trees.

We are often asked how we made the decision to take our Costa Rican dragonfly tour. Actually we did no research. I knew Dennis Paulson by fame, both as a premier dragonfly expert and as a birder. Dennis posted an announcement of the tour on FaceBook (of all places). I turned to Erika and said, “Amorcita, this trip will be the tour of a lifetime!” Somewhat to my surprise (neither of us is fond of flying), she immediately agreed. We knew nothing about Sunrise Birding. Steve and Tom Bird proved to be superb birders, guides, and marvelous traveling companions.

So ends my Costa Rican blog report. (I am sure there are more photos to share—we took over 7000 images during the trip—but I will spare you.) We returned to San Jose and, early on the morning of 17 July, flew to Dallas. We spent two days there visiting family, and then drove back to Minnesota. We did see a few interesting creatures in Texas, and I will share them with you in the next few posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment