Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Band-tailed Pigeon


Anywhere from one to a dozen Band-tailed Pigeons visit our feeders every day. These birds appeared on 20 August 2020. The rather drab immature bird, as evidenced by its lack of a white collar or iridescent nape, is the first pigeon that I have seen in the birdbath. Previously I only saw them occasionally drinking at the water. I call these birds Vulture Pigeons, as they gluttonously consume my birdseed. Erika is more fond on them. Sibley (2014) writes that young pigeons, although most common from June until November, can be observed at any time of the year. These pigeons are only common in Washington in the west and they are usually less common in the winter, when many birds migrate south of us. Apparently Band-tailed Pigeons at bird feeders suffer from outbreaks of protozoan diseases (Wahl et al. 2005).

No comments:

Post a Comment