Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Western Tanager and Pine Siskin

More birds on the exceptionally hot 16 August 2020—with an official temperature of 98 degrees. The first photo shows a Western Tanager—probably an immature female. We have not seen these tanagers at our feeders. (I have, however, banded a few in the backyard.) Nevertheless, this summer I was aware of Western Tanagers calling from the surrounding forest. Despite searching, I never saw the birds in the treetops. Thus, Erika and I were delighted to see this tanager at the birdbath. Unlike most of the other birds, the tanager only drank and did not bathe. A Pine Siskin photo-bombed the Western Tanager. The siskin’s mouth is open, but I think it was drinking, not panting. The siskin also drank but did not bathe. Unlike the tanager, a few siskins frequented at our feeders all summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment