Each month, eBird issues challenges to its users. December’s challenge is to submit 50 photographs or sound recordings. If nothing else, this activity will provide me a bunch of blogging material. As I took this swan picture, I realized the neck reflection had possibilities for an interesting image.
Thursday, December 3, 2020
Trumpeter Swan
Erika and I visited the less human-frequented south end of Capitol Lake. I am therefore fairly sure that the two Trumpeter Swans we saw on 2 December 2020 were recent arrivals. After centuries of commercial harvesting, in 1935 only 69 Trumpeter Swan remained in the contiguous United States. With rigorous conservation and restoration management, numbers reached over 63,000 in 2015—and there are certainly even more birds today. In our part of North America, these swans breed from Alaska through British Columbia and Albert and winter along the Pacific Coast south to Washington and Oregon. The species has been reintroduced to many locations in the northern United States and southern Canada.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment