Thursday, February 10, 2022
Long-tailed Duck
Long-tailed Ducks are fairly common migrants and winter residents along the Washington coast and in Puget Sound. I don’t see them very often. They prefer relatively deep, open water. When I retired, I took the time to enter my birding records into eBird. My early records tend to include only birds that were new for me. More recently, eBird includes almost all the birds I see. I checked my Long-tailed Duck records and was surprised to learn that I have only seen this species on seven occasions. The first time was in Maryland on 16 April 1965. The most recent was on 1 February 2022, after reading in eBird that Long-tailed Ducks were being reported at nearby Tolmie State Park. Three birds floated far away, but I found them relatively easily with my new scope. Switching over to my telephoto lens proved somewhat more challenging. Just for the record, the other bird in this image is probably a Pelagic Cormorant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment