Lesser Violetears are found from Costa Rica south to northern Argentina. In my youth, birding in Mexico, I would have identified this bird as a Green Violetear. But populations north of Costa Rica are now thought to be a separate species, the Mexican Violetear. The two species have different plumages, the Lesser Violetears lacking the northern birds’ blue breast patch. I assume the violetears that occasionally stray into the United States are the Mexican species.
The violetear in this photograph, like other hummingbirds at the Monteverde feeders, appears to be sleeping during a rain shower. The species was fairly common at the hummingbird cafe. I identified the species, not by the violet ear feathers, but by the dark band at the end of its iridescent tail.
The violetear in this photograph, like other hummingbirds at the Monteverde feeders, appears to be sleeping during a rain shower. The species was fairly common at the hummingbird cafe. I identified the species, not by the violet ear feathers, but by the dark band at the end of its iridescent tail.

No comments:
Post a Comment