Real dragonfly entusiasts net their quarry. Many species can be positively identified no other way. With binoculars, camera, notebook, and eBird list on cell phone, I’ve never had enough hands for a net. Nevertheless, before our Costa Rica tour, I asked Dennis Paulson if I needed to invest in a net. He replied, “no.” He had a net, and that would be enough. Furthermore, dragonfly collecting would require permits. The dragonflies we did net were all released. Some, like the Wandering Glider perched on Dennis’s nose, were reluctant to depart. On the other hand, the Roseate Skimmer in the bottom photo was the only one I saw during the tour. I took the photo, but regretted the creature was hand-held. The resulting photo is never as aesthetic as an unrestrained dragonfly. This individual is the first adult male I have seen, but I have photographed a couple of wild Roseates in southern Texas.


No comments:
Post a Comment